Can you believe it? More to the point, can you believe she turns six today, and I’m not just posting a birthday blog two weeks after a fact? I’m to be congratulated.
I still have to bake her cake, so I’m going to cut straight to the chase and give you the relevant FUN FACTS about Girlfriend.
1. She flosses her teeth every night. For real. She started after her last dental check-up and hasn’t stopped. I wish I had her dedication.
2. She still loves Thomas the Tank Engine. She had a Thomas-themed birthday party. She still wears Thomas the Tank Engine underpants. That’s probably not a thing she would like me to tell other people about her. Good thing she doesn’t read my blog.
3. Although she doesn’t read my blog, she is a very good reader. You know, for a kindergartener. She’s also a very good artist. Here is a picture she drew the other night of her dad putting contact paper in our new cabinets. The smaller blue figure is her, and if you look closely, you can see that it’s her drawing a picture of her dad putting contact paper in our new cabinets.
4. When she was four, I signed us up for one of those Mommy & Me swim classes. I don’t remember why. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t my idea. Anyway, it was a nightmare. She would cling to me the entire time, wouldn’t blow bubbles or do any of the other dumb things you do in those classes. But this summer she was so obviously comfortable in the water and trying to imitate her older siblings, I decided I’d better sign her up for swim lessons in the fall. I mean, it was sort of my idea this time. A little bit. Would I have done it without outside pressure? I’d like to think I might have (sort of). Anyway, she did awesomely. What she lacks in form, she makes up for in enthusiasm. I’m never seen a kid swim with such joie de vivre. Do you remember that episode of friends where Phoebe starts running with Rachel and Rachel is embarrassed because Phoebe runs like a little kid with her arms all flailing and crap? That’s how Girlfriend swims. You know she is loving it.
5. She loves dogs. She would really, really, really like to have a real, live dog as a pet. That is never going to happen. At least not as long as she lives under our roof. We will happily visit her and her pet dog when she has her own house. In the meantime, she has to make do with stuffed dogs and playing with other people’s dogs at other people’s houses. I would feel guilty, but as a friend of mine used to say, it’s good to want. And it is. It really is.
6. She used to be really shy–and she still is reasonably shy, especially around adults–but she has recently become much more confident and social. She is, apparently, beloved by her peers. It’s true. Everyone says so. I’m not sure where she gets her charm from. It’s certainly not me. Hm. Another Madhousemystery, I guess.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIRLFRIEND!